1.03.2011

Adventures in Drupal! Just kidding... ADVENTURES Part 1!

So I'm learning about Drupal, it's "open source social publishing software that empowers individuals, teams, and communities to easily publish, manage and organize a wide variety of content on a website."


Good to know, right?  I know you've been waiting your whole life to discover that.  I'm giving you a blow by blow as I learn about it.  Why?  Because this blog is a wonderful tool to help me remember what on EARTH I get up to in the cyber world, and I don't want to forget.  Right now, I'm doing something I haven't done since PRG 223 or something like unto that, I'm installing XAMPP for Linux on my Linux machine.  Drupal runs on XAMPP or WAMP if you're trying to run in locally.  And I'd definitely recommend playing with it locally first.  Blowing up a website = not that much fun.  
XAMPP for Linux was formerly known as LAMPP.  Now with that info, it's finally finished downloading, and time for me to play with the terminal.  I'm going off of http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html#374 for my instructions.


Well, what a peach.  I think I forgot my sudo login.  Excellent, especially since I seem to be needing that... Now I have to reboot into recovery mode and reset that...  I hope my compy doesn't get wiped and stuff, that would really be fun.  ;)
Rebooted, didn't get it, moved on, hung around the Linux forums, found this wonderful person who said:

You do not need to be in single user mode.
It is much MUCH simpler to reset this, I will tell you how.
Open a terminal program (command line, X terminal, whatever you want.)
type:
sudo su
You know are acting as 'root' of your system.
now type:
passwd
it will say: "Now changing password for root" or whatever. Just follow your computer's directions from here.
This person I now love.  Because it worked.  NOW let's see if we can install LAMPP
Okay, we need to be in the Downloads directory.  And remember, this is all case sensitive.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  THAT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember folks, in situations where things aren't quite going the way they should, keep a cool head and remember where the nearest chocolate source is.
Beautiful, it passed.  I have XAMPP for Linux on my machine.  JOY AND CELEBRATION!!!!! NOW I CAN PLAY WITH DRUPAL!!!!!!!!!
Okay, I'm posting this as part 1.  Next up we'll play with Drupal!

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment