1.08.2011

*Phew*

So watching these training videos seems to give me extra time to play with the settings on my blog.  haha enjoy the new format!

And other than that, Drupal training from the videos seems to be going well.  Somehow the training is improving my overall understanding of computers and their workings, as well as website workings.  It's all connected...  cool...

But I've discovered something about myself.  I seem to have issues just staying in one place and finishing out videos.  See, I get this sort of bubbly excitement.  "WHAT!!!!  THAT'S POSSIBLE??!?!?!!!?!?!  I WANNA TRY IT!!!!!!!"  So I pause the video and get onto my LocalHost site where I mess with settings, download modules, and then after I get really REALLY excited, I download LOTS of modules, and then I enable them all, then I submit my changes.  That's when I find out several modules that are dependent on each other have installation issues or something, and so a lot of the ones I installed aren't working.
Lesson learned?  Install and test one module at a time.

So then I'm like "Awwwwwwww MAN that didn't work...  I guess I'll go watch the video again..."
Yeah, good choice, since they know what they're talking about...  haha
Second lesson learned: FINISH WATCHING THE VIDEO.  The nice thing about QuickTime too is that they have this nice summary of the chapters if you click on the arrow on the right of the time status bar.  That was uber handy to find.  I have the sneaking suspicion that when I get into actually developing this stuff for real, I may forget a lot of the things I watched.  So being able to quickly reference the videos will be a great thing.

Third thing I've found out, is that sleep is really important.  Especially when learning stuff from rather dry videos.  Don't get me wrong, my geeky mentors are hilarious, but turn on a video, and I seem to have a huge temptation to just kinda drop off for a little while.  Perhaps that's like, my brain stating that it's learning a lot and wants a break for a bit.  At any rate, sleep is good, and I ought to take advantage of it.

Fourth thing?  You know the Dad in Tron: Legacy?  WELL he was the original actor in the first Tron!!!!  Is that sweet or what?  So Kevin Flynn in Tron is Kevin Flynn in Tron: Legacy!  And Sam Flynn is still adorable.  And the soundtrack is amazing.  And the movie is amazing.  And I think it's the coolest thing ever to be able to learn more about computers and have a movie that actually makes geekiness uber cool.  Oh, and Allen, the guy who talks to Sam and is Kevin's friend, he was originally Tron in the first one, which I also thought was cool, because Kevin referenced Allen as the creator of Tron.

Oh, and the fourth thing is totally important.  ;)  This is a result of me staying up late.  But I wanted to wrap all that up, it helps to write down what I learn so I don't have to relearn the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment