5.30.2010

Sewing adventures TRIUMPH!

Project 2...  the green dress.
I started this project right after I finished the black dress, and I just finished it yesterday with the help of my wonderful Mother, without whom this never would've been possible, AT ALL.  Thanks, Mom!!!!
So this one started out as this pattern:

I was using the one that got whited out by the flash...  but first I cut out the wrong pattern and ran out of fabric.  So that was the second trip to JoAnn's to get more fabric.
Then I made the bodice, the sleeves were a pain, the bodice was pretty easy, then it looked horrible when I got that part done.  So I looked at it, dragged it to Mom, complained in a loud tone, she totally understood and complained with me, and then we played with the bodice, nothing worked, and we scrapped it.  At least, for a little while.  I went searching through the old patterns to see if there was another bodice that would work, and found this old pattern:
"Look!" I yelled to Mom, "It looks like the lines are SIMILAR!!!"  and Mom was like "Well, this can't get any more messed up, let's go for it!"
And so we went back to JoAnn's and got more fabric.  That was the 3rd trip.  So I made that bodice, and sure enough, it worked pretty well!  Then it was too long, so I took the shoulders up a bit, and that made it fit perfectly.  So I started the sleeves...  and realized I didn't want the ginormous ones belonging to the pattern, and I didn't want to re-make the other sleeves very much at all.  So I looked at the old bodice that turned out so awful, and decided the sleeves could be salvaged.  And they were!  After Mom remade them, that is...
  haha
Then we did the zipper and a few other things, Mom top stitched and used a nifty hemmer attachment on her machine, and this is it!

And now, I'm not making anymore dresses until I get a few skirts done.  I LIKE SKIRTS.  SKIRTS DON'T HAVE SLEEVES.

No comments:

Post a Comment